Jigging is definitely sport fishing. You animate the jig (a kind of leaded spoon), by yoyoing it, in order to “delude” the fish, all the way from the bottom up to the surface.
Rodrigues, from East to West
The famous Eastern Bank, Hawkins Bank and the plate around Rodrigues with his numerous spots (coral heads, bumps, reefs and rocks…) constitute many Hot Spots for XXL dogtooth tunas. You can catch exceptional fishes on each of them.
- EASTERN BANK: A 104.5kg dogtooth tuna is caught on jigging on 25 October 2007 by Christian Mercier (Reunion). All tackle World record.
- HAWKINS BANK (Western): On 26 October 2012, still on jigging, a 100.240kg dogtooth tuna is caught by Toni Costa (Switzerland)… for his very first exotic fishing trip.
- ON THE CONTINENTAL PLATE AROUND RODRIGUES: On 23 October 2014, Charles Rubis (France) comes also for the first time here and catches a huge doggy of 97kg.
- You will also be able to jig inside numerous yellowfin tunas’ boiling schools or around drifting wrecks (drifting woods, net chunks, etc) for wahoos and dorados.
FISH AND SEASON
You will be able to catch many different species (beyond the 2 queen species that are dogtooth tuna and giant trevally) such as red snapper, grouper, amberjack, jobfish, bluefin trevally, big eye trevally, yellow-spotted trevally, black jack, barracuda, wahoo, yellowfin tuna, white tip shark, etc.
All these species are regularly present all year long.
The special shape of the jigs enables them to dart around under water during the fall. Therefore, to bring it to life, on the rise, you may try a few animation types:
- from slow to fast,
- from small “jerks” to long ones, intersected by breaks and spurts, in order to excite predators. Everything is possible and it can change very quickly. So please dare varying your animations.
However, do not worry even if you are a beginner! You will be coached by the crewmembers of the boat, which have been practicing jigging for a few years now and will help you to find your way.
TACKLE AVAILABLEAboard the Black Marlin, you will benefit a high quality tackle, free of charge: • Pedro Custom rods, equipped with Shimano Stella 20000 reels, filled with 65 lbs and 80 lbs braid Power Pro, regularly replaced. • Also at your convenience jigs, leaders and assist-hooks. • Aboard, for your comfort, 2 special Sevenseas “jigging” belts are available • For long fights, 2 harnesses adaptable to jigging rods. You will only be charged lost or broken tackle, at its cost on French market, that is to say from 20€ for a jig all equipped… to 1600€ for a whole rod/reel set. However, the very first lost jig will not be billed (1 jig by day and by boat).
THE CAPTAIN’S ADVICE
Many anglers wedge their rod’s foot under their arm to jig; this is a good position once you have found the rhythm between the movement of the rod and the reel’s capacity to reel in the line.
However, the most common mistake that I can see is that on strike, the angler hooks up the fish one, two or three times then gets diverted when he tries to fix the gimbal of his rod in his belt. Line is loosened and fish unhooks.
It is wiser to keep one’s rod under the arm, even to start pumping in this position and then take advantage of a good tension on the rod, down, to put it in the belt, spotting the way.
Rod Fishing Club is the solution to:
- catch your very first dogtooth tuna on jigging,
- break up your own record or maybe why not try to look for a world record, also for your children on Smallfry and Junior categories.